Monday, February 28, 2011

I Am Poem - Poetry Project

Creating an "I AM" Poem

Objective: Students will write and illustrate I Am poems.
An I Am poem is an 18-line, three-stanza poem which students write about themselves, or a real or fictitious character.
When all students have presented their poems to their classmates, the poems will be compiled in a booklet and shared with others. We will also display a copy of the poems in the main hallway. Your "I am" poem should looks like this:

I AM - (in word art)
I am (two special characteristics you have)
I wonder (something you are actually curious about)
I hear (an imaginary sound)
I see (an imaginary sight)

I want (an actual desire)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)
I pretend (something you actually pretend to do)
I feel (a feeling about something imaginary)
I touch (an imaginary touch)

I worry (something that really bothers you)
I cry (something that makes you very sad)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)
I understand (something you know is true)
I say (something you believe in)
I dream (something you actually dream about)
I try (something you really make an effort about)
I hope (something you actually hope for)
I am (the first line of the poem repeated)


Microsoft Word Formatting for Poem:

  • Include a page border - make sure the border represents the theme of your poem
  • Include WordArt - The word art must be creative, and customized to fit your topic
  • Insert a photo of yourself - the photo must be taken in class using a digital camera and uploaded into your poem
  • The poem must be centered and one page
  • Include heading and center title of poem
  • Double space your poem after you finish typing it.
Be as creative as possible! Have fun with this project

http://ettcweb.lr.k12.nj.us/forms/iampoem.htm

1 comment:

Melissa f. 7b said...

The I Am poem was very easy and i like what i put up about myself on my i am poem and i cant wait until we read it out loud